Monday, August 4

(M) Get Smart. (Peter Segal, 2008)Grade: B-

Thoughts: Maxwell Smart / Agent 86 (Steve Carell) works for CONTROL. With the help of his more competent partner Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway), they are on a mission to battle crime nemesis KAOS. A funny and silly movie based upon the popular 1960’s television series. I think Dwayne Johnson did a nice job as Agent 23 and Terry Crews, David Koechner and the rest of the cast were entertaining.

(M) Brideshead Revisited. (Julian Jarrold, 2008)Grade: B

Thoughts: Captain Charles Ryder (Matthew Goode) is stationed at Brideshead Castle during WWII. There he remembers his involvement with the Flyte family when they use to live there, especially with brother Sebastian (Ben Whishaw) and sister Julia (Hayley Atwell). This was a well done film with an excellent performance by Emma Thompson as Lady Marchmain, the mother. I read the 1981 11-hour tv mini series is amazing so I need to figure out some time to plow through that.

(M) Wanted. (Timur Bekmambetov, 2008)Grade: C+

Thoughts: Wesley Gibson (James McAvoy), a neurotic cube office worker, learns his long lost father was an assassin and has been murdered. He is recruited by his father’s old organization lead by Sloan (Morgan Freeman) and trained by Fox (Angelina Jolie) and others to find the man who killed his dad. A decent action flick that I would have liked more if Wesley was not so whiny (why does James McAvoy play so many whiney characters) and if the plot was stronger. No matter though because Angelina Jolie was very pleasing to look at.

Movie Count: 70

2 comments:

Jim said...

Man, I guess I just don't watch that many movies. I hadn't watched any of the movies in your previous post, but I figured it was just because they were all Asian movies. But I can't explain this one.

Curelover said...

No worries. Get Smart I had some free movie money to see that and they were screening Wanted at work so I didn't pay for that either :) I did pay for Brideshead but that is because I'm a Brit junkie so yea.

I watch too many movies. It disturbs me and yet I keep doing it. You know if I saw your Netflix quene I would watch what you watch!! Ha ha.