Friday, July 11

(M) Kung Fu Panda. (Mark Osborne and John Stevenson, 2008) Grade: B

Thoughts: A lazy panda name Po (Jack Black), must become a Kung Fu Master to save the Valley of Peace from an evil snow leopard Tai Lung (Ian McShane). With the help of master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman) and the Furious Five – Tigress (Angelina), Monkey (Jackie Chan), Mantis (Seth Rogen), Viper (Lucy Liu) and Crane (David Cross), can he do it? This was an entertaining movie and I would of rated it higher but it was a bit too family oriented for my taste; great for families though.

(M) My Blueberry Nights. (Wong Kar Wai, 2007) Grade: A-

Thoughts: Elizabeth (Norah Jones) has learned her boyfriend has moved on to another woman and pours her out to restaurant owner Jeremy (Jude Law) in New York City. However, before anything can blossom between the two of them, she takes a journey across America and runs into various characters played by David Strathairn, Rachel Weisz and Natalie Portman. I am a bit biased here because I love, love, LOVE Wong Kar Wai’s work so it is natural I enjoy this as well. This was his first attempt at making an American movie and it shows, there is a lot more dialogue compared to his typical work. Instead of just watching the characters exist in their environment, the characters are telling you what they are thinking and how they are reacting. Norah Jones did a nice job in her first acting role and David Strathairn and Natalie Portman were quite good. I really like Rachel Weisz but I felt she was too much of an English rose to play a southern girl. Oh and surprisingly, I found Jude Law quite appealing and super hot in this role.

(M) In Bruges. (Martin McDonagh, 2008) Grade: B

Thoughts: Sent to Bruges, Belgium after a difficult job Ray (Colin Farrell) and Ken (Brendan Gleeson), two hit men, are discussing their views on life and death as they take in the sights. The dialogue throughout the movie was great, very quick and witty. Colin Farrell was charming in this role but it was Brendan Gleeson, who did an excellent job in the movie. Ralph Fiennes does a nice job as well playing their unstable, nutcase boss.

(M) Persepolis. (Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satrapi, 2007) Grade: B+

Thoughts: A coming of age story of a precocious and outspoken young Iranian girl and her family life during the Islamic Revolution. This simple story dealt with such a serious subject matter - a war torn country. The animation in the film was wonderfully done.

Movie Count: 61

2 comments:

1minutefilmreview said...

Nice selection of films and reviews... :)

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I just started Reading Persepolis with my book club and we're going to watch the movie and I am getting My Blueberry Nights in my next Netflix shipment.