Thursday, June 26

(M) Control. (Anton Corbijn, 2007)Grade: B+

Thoughts: I am a huge Joy Division fan and Ian Curtis’ story has always interested me. When I heard Anton Corbijn was going to make a movie regarding this topic, I was excited. Unfortunately, Control spent too much time on Ian’s personal romantic life and not enough about the band and the music. Sam Riley was alright as Ian Curtis but Samantha Morton who played Deborah Curtis, his wife and Toby Kebbell who was Rob Gretton, Joy Division’s manager, did excellent jobs. Overall, I found the movie enjoyable but I think 24 Hour Party People, though brief, showed a better history regarding Joy Division.

(M) Joy Division. (Grant Gee, 2007)Grade: A-

Thoughts: A solid documentary on Joy Division and their influential impact on Manchester and music. It had candid and personal interviews with Peter Hook, Stephen Morris and Bernard Summer as well as other people who were involved with the band. This was a well done documentary regarding an amazing band.

(M) Bella. (Alejandro Gomez Monteverde, 2006)Grade: C-

Thoughts: Jose (Eduardo Verastegui) is a cook at his brother’s restaurant after his career as a big soccer player is derailed. Nina (Tammy Blanchard) is a waitress at the same place and has just learned about her unplanned pregnancy. According to some reviews online, this movie was suppose to be great but I found it to be a bore. I didn’t care for the two main characters and the ending was so contrived; the movie fell flat for me.

(M) Foxes. (Adrian Lyne, 1980)Grade: C+

Thoughts: Jeanie (Jodie Foster), Annie (Cherie Currie), Madge (Marilyn Kagan) and Deirdre (Kandice Stroh) are best friends coming to age in the San Fernando Valley during the 1970’s. A sort of made for TV movie with an early Jodie Foster, Scott Baio and Randy Quaid.

(M) Flower Drum Song. (Henry Koster, 1961)Grade: B

Thoughts: Mei Li (Miyoshi Umeki) and her father illegally come to San Francisco so she can marry her fiancĂ© Sammy Fong (Jack Soo). Once there, she falls in love with Wang Ta (James Shigeta) who is in love with showgirl Linda Low (Nancy Kwan) who wants to be with Sammy Fong. I loved that the entire cast was all Asian because it really gave Asian actors an outlet during the 60’s. It was funny though that Japanese people were playing Chinese; I guess we really do all look alike. On a side note, James Shigeta was a FINE looking man back in the 60's, very easy on the eyes.

Movie Count: 50

1 comment:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I must say i am glad the film focused more on Ian than on the band and music. There is only so much you can say about a band and the music it makes, especially when it only made two albums. There is a, and this may be the wrong terminology, "cult of personality" around Ian Curtis. A lot of people want insight into the why? And I think his life as he experienced it needed to be presented to tell us why. If it focused more on the band and the music, I feel people would still be left asking "why?".

Though I am sad he chose suicide as a solution, as in the same way I am sad Kurt Cobain chose suicide as a solution, seeing the weight that he was under (which may have been too much for him, whereas it may not have been too much for others) it allows for an understanding, if not a sympathizing.

I think for people who have contemplated suicide and who think "only if" then I would be happy, will appreciate seeing that maybe the "only if" achievements do not prevent people from suicide.

As for the documentary. I thought it was great as well. However, I felt the creator tried to do some things different from your typical documentary and though I appreciate the attempt at change, I feel it was unsuccessful and distracting. But overall, a great documentary.