Thursday, January 31

(M) Once. (John Carney, 2006) Grade: A-

Thoughts: Wow! Once is such a simple and charming film about a street preformer guy (Glen Hansard) who meets a flower selling girl (Marketa Irglova) and over the process of a week compose and record a record together. It was such an impressive film considering the budget was around $150k and all the music was written by the two artist. I need to buy this soundtrack.

(M) Shoot 'Em Up. (Michael Davis, 2007) Grade: D

Thoughts: This movie was insight into the mind of a male, a place I never want to go. It was all violence, rock music and sex and no plot or storyline. I love Clive Owen but this was hard to watch.

(M) Away From Her. (Sarah Polley, 2006) Grade: C+

Thoughts: Away From Her is like The Notebook minus Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams. Julie Christie does a great job as Fiona Anderson and I felt for her husband Grant Anderson (Gordon Pinsent), who has to deal with his wife’s Alzheimer’s disease.

(M) Raising Arizona. (Joel Coen, 1987) Grade: B+

Thoughts: Kooky child kidnapping story about ex-con H.I. McDunnough (Nicolas Cage) and his cop wife Edwina “Ed” McDunnough (Holly Hunter). Nicolas Cage did such a good job in this role; I don’t think he was even trying. John Goodman, Sam McMurray and Frances McDormand also co-star.

(M) Ballon Rouge, Le (Red Ballon) / Crin-Blanc (White Mane). (Albert Lamorisse, 1956/1953) Grade: B+/B-

Thoughts: Using his own young son, Lamorisse creates an enchanting and moving tale about a young boy and his red balloon. It is a sweet tale about friendship and loss and only 34 minutes long. Unfortunately, I did not feel the same way about White Mane. Folco, a young boy, befriends a wild white stallion to the surprise of some cowboys who are trying to capture. In both these films, there is barely any dialogue but it works because they are both telling simple tales.

Movie Count: 5

2 comments:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Red Balloon is probably one of the BEST movies ever!!!! So great! I even have a book about it. I need the DVD because I only have the VHS. I guess I know what to ask for for my birthday now.

Once is a true gem. It was my FAVORITE movie of 2007!

pigern said...

Yay for Once. I'm surprised I still cried at the end! Such a wuss.