Monday, September 24

(A) White Chalk, P J Harvey (2007) grade: A-

The follow-up to Polly Jean's last studio album, 2004's Uh Huh Her, this album is a great departure from the usual PJ we are used to. This album is based around the piano, which combine with PJ's haunting voice to create beautiful tracks. I've only listened a couple times, but already I'm enjoying what I'm hearing. The first single is "When Under Ether", the album is out in the UK today, and out in the US next week (Oct. 2).



(A) Fantasía Pop, Belanova (2007) grade: A

After being told to check out this Mexican band, I loved their last album, Dulce Beat, a dose of fun infectious electropop in español (they even did a cover of --gasp!-- The Cure's "Boys Don't Cry" on a live album). I eagerly anticipated this new album, especially after listening to the catchy pop tune, "Baila mi corazón". I had to go to Amoeba because Best Buy didn't have the album, but it was well worth the extra trip. The songs are catchy, fun, and even boast a hint of new wave/rock. My favorite track is "Cada que..." Worth checking out, even if you don't speak the language.

**updated the video**

2 comments:

Curelover said...

Oh Polly Jean ... so great. What a cover of a Cure song and I don't know about it. What gives. Oh well. Me have to listen now.

pigern said...

I didn't really like PJ's last album, but your A- sounds like this one should be really good. Her upcoming tour is super expensive though. :/