Monday, July 16

(M) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. (Alfonso Cuaron, 2004) Grade: B

Thoughts: Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) is on his third year at Hogwarts and has to deal with a new Defense against the Dark-Arts teacher, Professor Lupin (David Thewlis) and the escape of convicted murderer Sirius Black (Gary Oldman). I thought I would enjoy this because of the director Cuaron, who did Children of Men, but I didn’t. I was distracted by the editing and the story was a bit dull. Oh and Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton) is turning into one ugly kid.

(M) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. (Mike Newell, 2005) Grade: A-

Thoughts: Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) is on his fourth year at Hogwarts and finds someone has thrown his name into the Goblet of Fire to compete in the Triwizard Tournament against other schools of magic: Beauxbatons and Drumstrang. I enjoyed this fourth installment of HP quite a bit. I liked the different tasks of the tournament and the Yule Ball. I think what I started getting tired of in HP3 was how immature Harry, Ron (Rupert Grint) and Herminone (Emma Watson) still were. In this installment, they are growing up, developing crushes, having teenage angst and trying to figure out who they are. I am looking forward to how HP 5 plays out.

(M) Stranger Than Fiction. (Marc Forster, 2006) Grade: C-

Thoughts: IRS agent Harold Crick (Will Ferrell) leads a very dull and boring life until he starts hearing a voice in his head narrating his life and learns the voice is planning to kill him. Now he has to figure out if he is losing his mind and how to stop from dying. I did not care for almost any of the characters in this movie, especially the main one Harold. Maggie Gyllenhaal as Harold’s love interest was annoying; Dustin Hoffman and Queen Latifah were pointless. The only character I did was enjoy was Karen Eiffel (Emma Thompson), the writer/narrator and there was not nearly enough of her in the movie. Oh and random Tony Hale appearances were nice. This movie was like some sad version of Punch Drunk Love, which was brilliant. Even the bright blue suit Harold wears at the end reminded me of the one Barry Egan (Adam Sandler)wore.

(M) Transformers. (Michael Bay, 2007) Grade: B+

Thoughts: I hate Michael Bay movies. With that said, I enjoyed Transformers quite a bit because Michael Bay does know how to make a good action movie. Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) gets his first car, a yellow Camero and can’t wait to go and try to impress hot girl Mikaela Banes (Megan Fox). What Sam doesn’t know is his Camero is actually an Autobot named Bumblebee. So begins the story of battle between the Autobots and Decepticons. Hands down Optimus Prime is AMAZING and so cool. The best parts of the movie were with the Transformers. The humans were just filler and some parts regarding them dragged but overall it was a fun summertime popcorn flick.

Movie count: 62

3 comments:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I have caught bits and pieces of Stranger than Fiction, and I can probably sum it up based on what I saw. I was not impressed. I agree with your analysis.

pigern said...

Good job New Wave. 62! Now you just have to plough through 10 movies in two weeks to not be jealous. :D

Jim said...

Look, I'm reading your blog! I thought Stranger than Fiction was okay, but it would have been better if the Queen Latifah character was a Transformer... the fight scene at the end would have been much better. Wait, there was no fight scene. Wow, this comment doesn't make any sense.