Monday, February 26

(M) Wu Ji (The Promise). (Kaige Chen, 2005) Grade: D+

Thoughts: Another overdone Chinese movie made for a “certain” audience. Visually it was too over the top and storyline wise there was none. Cecilia Cheung plays Princess Qingcheng who can never love until she meets a general (Hiroyuki Sanada) and slave Kunlun (Dong-Kun Jang). I think the movie could have been okay but they really messed it up. This is disappointing considering Kaige Chen directed Farewell My Concubine, which is one of my all time favorite movies. Oh and I saw the US version of the film which cut out 26 mins and I was glad.

(M) Fong Juk (Exiled). (Johnny To, 2006) Grade: A-

Thoughts: How can I not like this movie? Director is Johnny To + original cast from The Mission film + set in Macau + lots of violence = Excellent. The story was just alright but it is hard to dislike this film because of the cult-ish follwing it has. It was nice to see Francis Ng, Anthony Wong, Roy Cheung and Suet Lam all together. I guess I’m just a fan girl who loves her Chinese movies.

(TV) Pao Zhi Nu Peng You (My Dream Girl). (Yip Wai Man, 2003) Grade: C

Thoughts: A silly Chinese version of Pygmalion. Why am I such a sucker for that storyline?

Movie count: 10

No comments: