Thursday, January 25


The Wong Kar-Wai Collection - Grade: B

After first being exposed to Wong Kar-Wai's later works (In The Mood For Love & 2046 [my favorite]), I went back and watched these 5 films. I started with 'Days Of Being Wild' and I am going to have to re-watch this one because I think I was too hard on it. The stand-out films for me were As Tears Go By and Fallen Angels. Those were my favorites. Happy Together was ok, and Chungking Express was probably actually my least favorite though it seems to be raved about by everyone. It may have suffered the fate of Days Of Being Wild where my expectations were too high. I almost gave up on the box-set after the first two films but was very happy I watched the rest.

3 comments:

Curelover said...

Chungking Express is amazing BUT I mean it depends on how a person views and interprets it. For example, I did not like Fallen Angels as much but I have another friend who loves that movie so much. You know Fallen Angles is the second part to Chungking Express or so they say.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Yeah. I read that it was to be in Chungking Express but it was too long so he made it its own movie. I don't know what it was about Chungking that I didn't care for. I guess I just wasn't interested in that girl who was obsessed with that guy. Maybe girls can relate more to that and I relate more to 2046, Days Of Being Wild, Fallen Angels, and As Tears Go By where the girls are second thoughts to the lives the men lead.

Curelover said...

As much as I loved Faye Wong I was drawn to Chungking for the images of Hong Kong and the loneliness of the whole film. NOT about the girl and her following the cop around.