Sunday, January 21



(M) Stomp the Yard (White, 2007) Grade: B+
Now you all know I'm a sucker for a dance movie, so it should be no surprise that I watched this one. Yes, it's predictable with your basic formula for a dance movie, but it was entertaining nonetheless.
Dance movie formula:
1. Kid that loves to dance and, well, likes to stir up trouble.
2. A tragedy occurs that forces circumstances to change.
3. Kid has to adjust to new world, new people and luckily finds a way to do so with DANCE!
4. New relationships are formed and kid brings his style of dance to mix in with (insert dance style here, which in this case is stepping/stomp)
5. Enemies sabotage kids newfound happiness.
6. Everything is resolved with, you guessed it, DANCE!
Despite all this, I think this was probably one of the better dance movies out there. There are a few really great shots including the pictures above. The dancing/stepping is really good, although I could never really get myself to figure out what good crunking/clowning is. I respect those that can crunk/clown but sometimes it just looks weird. I also like the fact that it gives positive role models/messages for the black youth out there. An added bonus are the beautiful men (Columbus Short(DJ) and Brian J. White.); not just beautiful men but men running around shirtless haha. Yum.

2 comments:

Darth said...

I don't think any dance movie can top the greatest of them all, "You Got Served" but perhaps I will check this one out when I see it on HBO at like 3 in the morning and i'm up for no reason. It's how I first watched Served!

Curelover said...

That is awesome you saw this movie Hedwig :) Hee hee. No. 1 movie in America right now.