Friday, January 26

(M) The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner (Tony Richardson, 1962) Grade: B+
After I read Alan Sillitoe’s short story, I wanted to watch the film adaptation, but it hasn’t been available on DVD until recently. Anyway, the film is nearly two hours, which impressed me since it’s based on a short story. But it hammered home all the themes that Sillitoe discussed. The film made me wonder even more about whether it was worth it to take a stand against the powers that be in order to maintain your principals, because the protagonist could have had a much easier life if he did as he was told. I guess it just takes strength of character.

3 comments:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Sometimes I listen to politicaql talk radio and I can get so frustrated and then I go outside and the birds are chirping and I'm eating a nice dinner somewhere and having a drink and relaxing and I think, why do people get so wound up? Does anything really affect me to any extent that I need be concerned? Probably not. So, standing up to the powers that be is probably a foolish thing and a waste of time unless circumstances are dire, you won't win anyway.

pigern said...

"You won't win anyway." That's true. But isn't that depressing? There's a huge anti-war rally in D.C. that some people are attending, and I'm thinking that's great but what will it change?

Cup-O-Noodles said...

It'll change nothing