Monday, October 23

(M) Flor de mi Secreto, La (The Flower of My Secret). (Pedro Almodovar, 1995) Grade: C+

Thoughts: A standard Pedro movie about romance writer Leo Macias (Marisa Paredes) who uses a fake name to write her novels. She is desperate to save her broken marriage only to find out her husband Paco has been cheating on her with her good friend. This film was made before Live Flesh, which was enjoyable and All About My Mother, which is amazing. I think Flower is a peek into the beginning of Pedro’s genius.

(M) Cries and Whispers. (Ingmar Bergman, 1972) Grade: B-

Thoughts: Two sisters, Karin (Ingrid Thulin) and Maria (Liv Ullmann), come back home to take care of their dying sister Agnes (Harriet Andersson). Unfortunately, the relationship between all the sisters is filled with resentment, anger, pain and hurt. Karin is in a loveless marriage and finds ways to hurt herself and shuts other people out. Maria seems friendly and warm but with no real feeling. This is one of Bergman’s more complex and psychoanalytically films. His usage of the color red, on the walls and to fade in and out of scenes, gives the movie an eerie and angry tone. I wish I could give the movie a higher rating but it was pretty disturbing and random; very high art house.

(M) Big Trouble In Little China. (John Carpenter, 1986) Grade: D+

Thoughts: I watched this movie because an old co-worker of mine told me about it. The only good thing about this movie is all the Asian actors and the Cantonese. Even if the actors were in super stereotypical roles it was better than nothing for me. Jack Burton (Kurt Russell) helps his friend Wang Chi (Dennis Dun) rescue his bride so he can get his truck back. Along the way he falls for Gracie Law (Kim Cattrall) and battles evil Chinese spirits. It was so over the top and extremely laughable and cheesy. However, there were a few old time Chinese actors like James Hong and Victor Wong in the film worth noting.

(M) 7 Up / 7 Plus Seven. (Michael Apted, 1964, 1971) Grade: B+

Thoughts: Truly a labor of love, Michael Apted started this project back in 1960’s by following a group of kids around at 7 years old and seeing what they will become in the year 2000. The first part is when the kids are 7 and basically just children. They make funny comments and stories and act as if they understand what is going on. The next segment is when they are 14 and the kids are now super awkward and insecure. Most of the kids do not look directly into the camera and avoid most questions. I am curious to see how the rest of the series goes. 49 up recently came out so when I get done with 21, 28, 35 and 42 I can watch the last one.

Count: 109 movies

4 comments:

pigern said...

Whoa! A Pedro movie gets a C+!

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I enjoyed Cries and Whispers.

I hope you stick with the 7-Up series. It's good. When I watched it I was curious about certain people all the time and my interest in some came and went but at the end of one film there's always usually a handful that make you want to watch the next. Keep watching them. I like 7 the most but it really got interesting from 28-Up and on for me.

charles said...

'Big Trouble in Little China' is easily in my top 50 movies of all time. The use of asian stereotypes in the movie was purely for the irony. Arguably one of Kurt Russell's best performances (next to "Overboard").

Curelover said...

Oh man I love Overboard. Such a classic campy cheese film. Yea Kurt R. was great in that.