Sunday, August 20

(G) French Kicks (Cafe Du Nord, San Francisco, 8/19/06) grade: B+

So, despite this awful venue (you hear me FTC?!), I thought the Kicks did a good job. I never got around to reviewing their latest album, Two Thousand, but Pigern did a nice job. I don't think the album is as strong as the previous one, BUT they sure did play the hell out of the songs last night, making them sound better than the recorded songs. They played a few songs from the previous album, which was great. (Although the first time I saw them, they did a cover of New Order's "Regret", which was a nice touch...so they lose points this time for no good cover song). Afterwards, they invited the audience to stick around and dance while they DJ'ed, which I thought was pretty cool (since I don't like the Cafe Du Nord crowd, i quickly exited the building). All in all, a good show.

4 comments:

pigern said...

Hm, I was on the fence about seeing them tomorrow, but now I might just buckle under the pressure of this persuasive review. Despite being sick... *cough*

pigern said...

Which one is Cafe Du Nord? Is that the venue we saw Lovemakers at?

bleed like me said...

thats the one
well, its the place YOU saw lovermakers, hehe

Curelover said...

Yes true ... FTC and I were outside hanging ... well until they played a semi bad cover version of Forest. Then I actually went back in but seriously hate the Lovemakers and that venue.