Saturday, August 26

(A) Back to Basics, Christina Aguilera (2006) grade: A-

I got this album a couple weeks ago, but considering it's a double-disc, it took me a while to really get through it all a couple times. After having enjoyed her last album, Stripped, as a departure from the teen pop that was her debut album, I knew I had to pick this one up.
The first disc is the "modern" disc, utilizing a lot of old samples, giving it that old jazzy feeling. For the most part, she accomplishes the goal. I especially like the song "Understand" off this disc. I also like that she has a track called "F.U.S.S." which stands for F**k You Scott Storch, a reply to his uproar after not being invited to contribute to this album (he had produced many of the tracks from Stripped).
Disc 2 is Christina trying to record in the style of the 20s, 30s, and 40s. She does this rather well, with some catchy tunes. I'm not sure how authentic she sounds, for me it's more like she's trying too hard. But still a good listen.

(A) Danity Kane, Danity Kane (2006) grade: B

So after being a fan of MTV/Diddy's "Making The Band 3", I HAD to pick this one up. I also love the first single, "Show Stopper". As FTC knows, I had a hard time finding it: all the retailers in my area were sold out (2 Targets, 2 Best Buys, Tower, and Amoeba). Finally, I got it when Target got a new shipment.
As far as the music, this album is a good effort. It boasts some of the best producers out there: Timbaland, Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins, Scott Storch, Bryan-Michael Cox. The tracks are okay to listen to but nothing stellar. The girls have delivered a decent debut to build on in the future...I just hope they don't fade out like the previous Making The Band products (Ashley Parker Angel anyone??)

No comments: