Friday, July 21

(M) Wordplay
Grade: B-/C+
This was a cute and fun movie, but in my opinion it's only worth renting. It follows around a couple of championship crossword puzzle competitors as well as interviewing some people who are crossword puzzle fans (Jon Stewart, Bill Clinton, Indigo Girls, Ken Burns, etc.). One thing you can say about the people who compete in the crossword puzzle tournaments... they're all a bunch of dorks, or at least the ones in the film are. But to me... that's what makes the movie so great. All I know is I never could do crossword puzzles before and there is no way I'll be able to do them later.





(C) Camera Obscura
Grade: B+
(Location: Troubadour)
This was a great show. The sound was great, the music was great, and the location was great. The band stuck mainly to their new album which is fine since I really enjoy it so much but I enjoyed the few older songs they played as well. My friend spilled her wine on the stage which got the attention of the band and so they chatted her up for a bit which was funny to me.

The opening band, Georgie James (i think), was nothing special what-so-ever but had the most beautiful keyboardist.




(C) 4 bands at the Prospector
Grade: C-

(Band 1) Eagle and Talon - a band that is basically a girl on guitar and a girl on drums. They're basically a vocally pop-ish/riot girl (maybe?) sound. Basically chick rock. The sound was okay but one of the girls does this really annoying thing where she makes her voice go really high (like a valley girl pitch... you know... like oh my gosh)... the vocal pitch was annoying but she was very cute to look at so I'll tolerate it. HA!

(Band 2) The Ettes - basically a rock band. Sorta that pixies/nirvana influence rock. Also this was a girl band for the most part. They drew the largest crowd and had a pretty solid sound but the songs started to sorta sound the same (but then I was tired). The drummer was hot though. (I like how I am judging bands based on their hotness... me? superficial? NEVER!)

(Band 3) Squab - This is an all girl gothic type of band... sorta. goth/electro. I don't know. I didn't like it at all and besides... nobody in the band was hot and we all know that's what really matters, right?

(Band 4) The Shondes - This band came out from New York and then entered the prospector and saw pictures with Indians and boycotted the show because they found the depiction of Indians offensive. So in my opinion, they're a shitty retarded band. Please... nevermind the abuse of alcohol and lust and hooking up and loose morals floating around in the bar before your eyes... that's okay... but pictures of Indians... horrible!!!!!

2 comments:

pigern said...

Your friend who spilled the wine is a no-good klutz I reckon.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I'll say she's a klutz... but i won't go as far as saying she's no-good.