Monday, July 31

(M) The Matador. (Richard Shepard, 2005) Grade: C+

Thoughts: Julian Noble (Pierce Brosnan) plays a hit man heading into retirement. After two botched jobs and on his way to a nervous breakdown, Julian turns to cautious and safe salesmen Danny Wright (Greg Kinnear) for help. Julian and Danny crossed paths a few months ago in Mexico City and fostered a friendship. At least that is what you are led to believe. The movie was too short to develop any of the characters so you just had to believe that Julian and Danny became life long friends after knowing each other for only a few days. Hope Davis who plays Bean Wright, Danny’s wife, is so cute and charming but her role was brief. Overall not a great movie but it was neat to see Pierce Brosnan play this has been hit man considering he use to be James Bond.

(M) Underworld. Evolution. (Len Wiseman, 2006) Grade:B-

Thoughts: I liked the first Underworld movie and figured I should give the second one a whirl. Surprisingly it did not suck as much as I expected. Underworld: Evolution picks up right where the last one left off and the film does a good job of explaining to you what happened in the last film (because I sort of forgot some stuff). Kate Beckinsale is super hot in black leather as Selene the vampire and Scott Speedman is not hard on the eyes either as Michael Corvin the werewolf/vampire hybrid. I would like to see them continue with this series but we’ll see. I read they might do a prequel to how Selene because a vampire but Kate Bekinsale would not play the role which is crap because she is Selene. One thing to note is the movie is extremely violent with tons of gore though I didn't mind. I was looking on Yahoo! Movies and apparently critics hated the film giving it a D+ but viewers liked it.

(M) Wordplay. (Patrick Creadon, 2006) Grade: C+

Thoughts: Other people have reviewed this movie so I won’t bother but to say it is better as a rental than in the theatre. I’ve seen a few documentaries and Wordplay was one of the weaker ones. The scenes showing celebrities doing puzzles was a bit pointless and I wish they focused more on the players of the ACPT (American Crossword Puzzle Tournament). However, I did enjoy the history of crossword puzzles and how they were developed and made. Oh and the winner in the film, Tyler Hinman won again this year and so did Ken Jennings (from Jeopardy fame) but in C division.

1 comment:

pigern said...

Yeah, Matador is pretty boring. I didn't even finish watching it.