Sunday, July 16

(B) Silas Marner (George Eliot, 1861) Grade: A
The first Eliot book I ever read was Mill on the Floss, which I believe is her most recognized novel. But Marner was Eliot's favorite work apparently, and I enjoyed it more than Mill. The characters are wonderfully developed (I love Marner!), and Eliot smartly retains the suspense by leaving the final revelations until nearly the end. My friend told me the BBC film adaptation is excellent (as they usually are) so I'll probably rent it soon.


(O) The Societe Anonyme (Armand Hammer Museum) Grade: A-
It's Hammer's "Free Summer" until Labor Day, so everyone should take advantage of free exhibitions and events there. As for the exhibit, I was surprised by how comprehensive and extensive it was, covering everyone from Duchamp, Man Ray, Kandinsky to even Picasso. The Societe's curator, Katherine Dreier, believed in theosophy, the 19th century philosophy in which there is spiritual unity in all things, which would explain surrealism and how an object could take on indefinite forms, such as a fish that also resembles a violin. Great exhibit.

2 comments:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Where do you find out about all your art shows you attend?

pigern said...

L.A. Weekly or friends usually.