Thursday, June 15

(TV M) Bang Bang You’re Dead. (Guy Ferland, 2002) Grade: B+

Thoughts: This film integrates a tv movie and a popular play written by William Mastrosimone which deals with violence in teens and our society. Trevor Adams (Ben Foster) is a troubled kid beginning another school year after a failed attempt of trying to blow up the high school football team. Ostracized by his classmates he meets a group called the Trogs who band together as outsiders. The only people willing to see Trevor needs help are his drama teacher Val Duncan (Thomas Cavanagh) and Jenny (Jane McGregor), a drama student. The movie is a look into what goings on in the mind of kids who commit Columbine-ish crimes on their campus. The social structure of high school, the need to fit in and belong and the desire to feel important and respected are all aspects of everyday teenage life. Personally I hated high school but I’m glad I never went to a “typical” American high school where kids can be so cruel. In addition, I’m glad I’m not a guy cause I think it is rougher for them then girls. Well actually the movie Mean Girls say different but who knows.

(M) Little Manhattan. (Mark, Levin, 2005) Grade: B

Thoughts: A cute love story about kids but it was missing something. Gabe (Josh Hutcherson) is your typical 11-year old boy who likes to ride his razor all over NYC and hang out with his buddies. Until he meets Rosemary (Charlie Ray) and all of sudden his world is turned upside down. He is in love and goes through all the emotions of a love sick individual. The movie is cute but I could not buy it as a real love story because they were still kids to me. I like the storyline with Gabe’s parents played by Bradley Whitford and Cynthia Nixon more though it was brief compared to the other storyline.

(M) Gauyat Sandiu Haplui (Saviour of the Soul). (David Lai, Corey Yuen, 1991) Grade: C+

Thoughts: An extremely cheesy dated Chinese film but entertaining nevertheless. It had good action and semi good acting considering the cast is made up of excellent actors like Andy Lau, Anita Mui, Aaron Kwok and Carina Lau.

(M) Twenty Bucks. (Keva Rosenfeld, 1993) Grade: C

Thoughts: The story of what happens to that twenty dollar bill after you hand it off to someone else. The only neat thing about this movie was the cast. You have Steve Buscemi, Elisabeth Shue, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Christopher Lloyd, William H. Macy, Jeremy Piven, David Schwimmer and my lovely Brendan Fraser. He was the reason why I rented this film.

4 comments:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Twenty Bucks, I saw that... I forgot I saw it though... I guess that says a lot about the movie.

What Little Manhattan was missing was a good male lead. The kid was a bad actor, but the movie was adorable on some level and I laughed a lot.

Why do you think high school is harder for boys?

Curelover said...

Just cause you have to be macho and the guy you know. If you were not a jock type then they would beat up on you ... like the nerds or weirdo vs. the popular kids. I guess the same goes for girls but I think boys are more physical with their interaction i.e. beating each other up or roughhousing compared to girls which is more mental like taking behind each other's back and so on.

Curelover said...

sorry i meant to say talking behind each other's back.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I think it is more likely to be a physical confrontation for boys than girls. I don't know though. Girls would tear each other down verbally... though a lot of it was behind some other girls back. Guys would get in your face and call you out so they could be perceived as the Alpha Male.

But what do I know? I spent my lunch-breaks crawling out of the trashcans people threw me in.