Tuesday, June 20

(A) Fascination (Monsters Are Waiting, 2006) Grade: B
I’ll be the first to admit that this band is somewhat derivative and a few of their songs border on annoying. I do cringe when I hear that bit of “Don’t Go” in which Annalee Fery does the scream/talk bit. But Monsters are a fun band. And the best thing is that New Wave dislikes them, so I can play their album whenever she’s in the room to get the intended response (evil laugh).


(A) Cripple Crow (Devendra Banhart, 2005) Grade: A
This San Francisco folk singer is fantastic. I think he is incapable of making a poor album. Though I enjoyed Nino Rojo more, Cripple Crow is excellent. And even better, Banhart is absolutely amazing live. Who would have thought for a folk singer? Folk-tastic.

(O) David Hockney @ LACMA (June 11-Sept. 4) Grade: A
This exhibit is pretty extensive and fills an entire wing with Hockney’s sketches, paintings and photography. It’s so extensive that I was tired after viewing it all. But luckily the Gustav Klimt exhibit next door has only five paintings so I browsed that rather quickly.

(O) Santa Monica Main Library (7th and Santa Monica) Grade: B+
If you have not visited the newly remodeled library, take some time to do so as soon as possible. There’s a cafe built inside the courtyard and a really large parking lot. It’s all so lovely. And the Friends of the Library bookstore outside sells used books for 50 cents. Hardcovers are a dollar. Ace!

1 comment:

Curelover said...

Boooo to Monsters Are Waiting. Ick. Cool about the Santa Monica library.