Monday, April 24

(B) Animal Farm (George Orwell, 1946) Grade: A
It embarasses me to admit that I have never read this short novel. I’m sure the teachers could have fit it into my high school curriculum. Nevertheless, it’s a good read and very apt in its messages. Thinking about how Napoleon instills fears in the other animals reminds me of today’s leaders, with their constant threats of terrorism, attacks and other scare tactics to get what they want. Also, it is relevant in that those who have the power will do whatever it takes to keep those who are at a disadvantage below them.


(B) The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath, 1963) Grade: A
Another novel I have never read, but I suppose what matters is that I finally did so. I found this particularly interesting in terms of the current topic of feminism. Not sure if anyone has heard of Caitlin Flanagan but her recent book (as I understand it) states that feminism shortchanged women because it forced them into the workplace, giving up their duties as a mother and housewife. And in the end, they are expected to fulfill both roles, which has a negative impact on the household. In contrast, Esther Greenwood is paralyzed by the expectations of 1950s society to become a mother/housewife rather than a poet/writer as she wants. Bell Jar is about her downward spiral toward suicide and depression because she feels trapped between what she wants and what is expected of her. Isn’t it then better for women to have the option of a career if that’s what they really want? Or both? I don’t think it’s too unreasonable.

(O) Salome (Oscar Wilde, Wadsworth Theatre) Grade: B+
I was v. apprehensive about this play, because I had read numerous negative reviews for the Broadway production, which also starred Al Pacino. But luckily, I went in thinking the worst, and it was better than I anticipated. Interesting, this isn’t really a play, but more of a reading, which makes sense as Wilde never intended the one-act Salome to actually be performed. It also was a lot more humorous than how I read it, and that was a nice suprise.

1 comment:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

The tough thing about a woman staying home now adays is the cost of living. But it depends on where you live and your income. I know if I made enough money to allow my wife to stay home and be a homemaker/mother, whatever... I'd do it. I think it's better for the family to have a parent at home while the kids are raised.

I am am glad you got around to reading those two novels. I think they're both good.