Saturday, March 18

(M) Scenes From A Marriage (Criterion Collection, Ingmar Bergman)
Grade: B

Originally a TV series in Sweden, it was made into a 2 hour and 45 minute movie for release in the U.S., cutting out 2 hours of footage, had I known this I'd have rented the TV series version. None-the-less, the film was a great piece of work and I could only wish television in America would do series like these. I like the idea of a one-time show, not multiple seasons (at least in a drama series).
The story is divided into six parts. It is about a man who is very self-assured and a woman who basically defines herself as her husband’s wife. Over the six segments the marriage takes on the consequences of an affair and a divorce, which brings more maturity and self-understanding to the couple. It's a great story, and one I'm sure many people can relate to.

(M) Sex Is Comedy (Catherine Breillat)
Grade: C

Not as controversial as the filmmakers other works, yet it has moments of insight, which I always enjoy from Catherine. I still would love to read a book by this director that entails her views on 'the philosophy of life and sex'. This story mainly focuses on a female director who is trying to get her actors to complete the sex scene in a movie and all the difficulties of the situation. Considering the real directors past works, I am sure this is a real life experience (or conglomerate of experiences) that she's had to deal with and decided to make a film about it. Again, in my opinion it's not the directors strongest work but still it had moments of enjoyment.

No comments: