Friday, March 10

I think I have slowed down on my movie watching which makes me sad but I haven't had time due to work and looking for a new job.

(M) Constant Gardener. (Fernando Meirelles, 2005) Grade: A-

Thoughts: Based upon the bestseller by John Le Carre, Justin (Ralph Fiennes) is a high court British official who meets Tessa (Rachel Weisz), a free spirited thinker and civil rights activist. The two fall in love and get married. Tessa begins to discover what a drug company, KDH, is doing in Africa, which is killing patients to test their drug and the link to the British govt. She is murdered during the investigation, basically as a well to silent her. Justin decides to finish what Tessa started and learns ugly things along the way. Some people felt Rachel Weisz, famous for her roles in Mummy and Mummy 2 - they even said that during the Oscars, should not have gotten nominated for her role because she was barely in the film but I disagree. She was in the film quite a bit and she did such a great job every time she was on-screen. I personally don't think Ralph Fiennes had to really act out of his part. After all, he just had to be an uptight British official, not hard for him. It would have been nice to see him with a best actor nomination though but that category was pretty filled up. I really enjoyed how the film was shot as well.

(M) Thumbsucker. (Mike Mills, 2005) Grade: C

Thoughts: I'm still trying to figure out why they made this film. It was not great but it was not bad but there was no point. Justin Cobb (Lou Taylor Pucci) is a 17-year old kid trying to grow up normal, too bad he can't stop sucking his thumb. His dad Mike (Vincent D'Onofrio) is embarrassed by it and his mom Audrey (Tilda Swinton) is trying to be supportive but they have their own problems as well. Justin turns to his orthodontist Perry (Keanu Reeves) and his debate teacher Mr. Geary (Vince Vaughn) for help and he gets some but not what he is looking for. Notice the names I'm using for the cast. I think that was what made people perk up interest for this movie and I have not even mentioned how Benjamin Bratt ties in. The film was like an after school special about being weird and how to embrace it. The main kid Lou Taylor Pucci did a good job but the rest of the movie was forgettable.

(O) Annoying guy who sits next to me at work. (2006) Grade: F
Thoughts: The guy is sooooooooooooooooooooo annoying. Just a few things he does everyday - hums loudly to himself, sings to himself, talks out loud, says phrase like chica chica and bam bam bam bam, cracks his knuckles multiple times a day, calls his girlfriend EVERYDAY, sometimes twice to see what she is doing and talks baby talk to her and just bugs the living daylights out of me. UGH!!! I want to yell shut the f*ck up to him but that would mean I would have to talk to him and I'll pass on that.

1 comment:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I thought COnstant Gardner was a good film as well. I love films that show governments as corrupt though, because they all are. I felt the couple had a weird marriage though.

Your review about your co-worker was the best!