Friday, March 3

(G) Whittier College 1st Annual Poetry Reading
Grade: A

I don't know if this really qualifies as a "gig" but it was an event. Three professional poets were reading. Each read for 45 minutes a piece. I don't remember who the first lady was, but the last two were fun. Ken Waldman went 2nd. He combines instrumentaion and then reads a poem and then goes back into playing his instrument. This guy had a great personality, a strong voice, and enjoyable material. I'd surely go see him again. The 3rd and final poet was Kim Addonizio who happens to be my favorite poet there is and influenced me to really try and write. This was the first time I got to see her read and she really brought life to her poems. She also hosted a one hour seminar/meeting before the poetry event started. She talked about writing and just had an open question and answer forum. She has one novel, a collection of short stories, and maybe 4-5 books of poetry. The book of hers that grabbed my attention is called Tell Me and was nominated for an award. As a poet she's won many awards herself. Great great great!

No comments: