Monday, January 16

(M) Woodsman (2004, Nicole Kassell)
Grade: (as a rental) B, (for a first time director) A+

I'll assume most of you already know what this is about or have seen it. I thought it was done very very well and for a first time director, amazingly well. I like how they don't really preach to you on the right or wrong aspect but just present situations and let you think about your own moral views on the situations. With a topic like this, I think that open-ended approach works well, where-as I get sick of movies sometimes telling you to finish the story for yourself. I thought all the actors in this movie did a fine job as well.


(M) Broken Flowers (2005, Jim Jarmusch)
Grade: (as a rental) B+

I tried to watch two of this directors other movies (Dead Man and Coffee & Cigarettes) and I didn't finish either they were so dull. So when I heard praise for this movie I wasn't sure but the story sounded interesting and it had Bill Murray in it. I thought it was excellent. I really enjoyed the film, it made me laugh quite a bit.

To sum it up, on the day Bill Murray's girlfriend leaves him he gets a letter that he has a son from a relationship 20 years ago. Bill's neighbor encourages him to go visit the 5 women that were a part of his life at that time and see if he can figure which one is the mother and he goes on the journey. No woman that he visits is the same. In the letter Bill receives, he is told his son may be out looking for him as well.

1 comment:

pigern said...

Some of the Coffee and Cigs vignettes were quite enjoyable.