Sunday, January 22

(M) Munich (Steven Spielberg)
Grade: B

Though this movie is 3 hours long it moves constantly and I was never bored and it didn't feel like 3 hours at all. I had never known there was a hostage situation at the Olympics until 5 or 6 years ago when I stumbled across 'One Day In September' which was a great documentary about the events.

This movie seemed to touch on a multitude of issues of which people can debate their opinions about. However, part of my difficulty in reflecting on the film is my lack of complete knowledge surrounding Israel, the Palestinians, and Arab nations. Though the main character is an Israeli and maybe you are supposed to "root" for him, I couldn't help but question whether the secret actions he was doing for his government where any more noble than the actions the people he was targeting were doing for their own government.

I guess because I don't have a strong knowledgable opinion of the history between all the middle east turmoil, I can't find myself really rooting for any one side in the film. However, the ultimate political message that I took away from the film in the end is not one I agreed with.

No comments: