Sunday, October 2

(M) Separate Lies. (2005, Julian Fellowes) Grade: C+

Thoughts: I wanted to like this film because 1. Tom Wilkinson and 2. Emily Watson but towards the end I was still trying figure out if there was even a point. James (Tom Wilkinson) and Anne (Emily Watson) seem like a happy couple but after a chance accident, which leads to the death of their housekeeper's husband and the discovery of Anne's affair with William Bule (Rupert Everett), their worlds are turned upside down. Tom Wilkinson gives a strong performance as a devoted yet angry husband. One thing odd about the British is their sense of pride and dignity and the need to keep up their image, much like in Asian cultures, even when everything is miserable. As for Rupert Everett, I think the man has had one too many face lifts. He use to be so dashing but now I think his face is melting off.

(M) Strictly Ballroom. (1992, Baz Luhrmann) Grade: A

Thoughts: I love this film and I always will. I think this is my third or fourth time watching this movie and I can't get enough. It is silly, funny, heart-warming, sweet, and romantic all at the same time. Beginner level dancer Fran (Tara Morice) challenges Scott Hastings (Paul Mercurio), a professional ballroom dancer in need of a new dance partner, to teach her to dance and in the process become partners for the biggest ballroom dancing competition in Australia. Oh and of course they fall in love. I enjoy the style of directing Baz Luhrmann uses; it is very theatrical and over the top. Much like in Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge, there is plently of catchy tunes and dancing. Did I mention I love this movie?

(M) The Notebook. (2004, Nick Cassavetes) Grade: C+

Thoughts: I'm actually surprised I rated this same as Separate Lies. Why did I watch this you ask? Well mainly because I've heard from many friends that after watching this movie they cried for hours and it got me thinking - "Could a film be that sad and heart wrenching that you would actually cry hours after the film had ended?" Conclusion: No. However you will tear up because even I did that. Noah Calhoun (Ryan Gosling) meets Allie Hamilton (Rachel McAdams). Boy and girl fall in love, boy loses girl because he is from the wrong side of the tracks, girl meets rich guy and becomes engaged, boy finds girl and rekindle old love, girl leaves rich guy and marries boy. No surprises there, pretty straight forward. The twist though lies in Duke aka Noah (James Garner) and Allie (Gena Rowlands), the old version, and how Allie needs to be reminded of their love because she has dementia. One of my favorite scenes, in a comical way, was when young Allie is screaming to young Noah that it was suppose to be over because it was 7 years now and they both had moved on but Noah screams it was never over and it still is not over and runs up to her and they start making out. I love that scene because he says it like he is going to punch her in the face out of rage but instead it is out of crazed love. Just some freaking funny stuff. Oh and did I mention it was pouring rain to make is even more dramatic. Man that is some funny stuff.

No comments: