Monday, August 8

(A) Plans (Aug. 30, Death Cab for Cutie) Grade: B
DCFC's fifth full-length plays like a Transatlanticism Pt. 2 of sorts. It is a lot more melodic, slower in pace and offers less catchy beats than You Have the Facts and Photo Album. But Plans is stronger overall than its predecessor (which I sincerely attempted to like yet couldn't ignore the over-production, the drawn-out sequences and the Velveeta cheese lyrics). Ben Gibbard doesn't stray too far from his typical excess sentimentality ("Someday You Will Be Loved"), but Plans offers up some winning lyrics ("Marching Bands of Manhattan") and a certain element of darkness ("I Will Follow You Into the Dark"). Plans might not win them new fans, but it should keep the old.

Side note: DCFC performs @ the Wiltern on Nov. 11. Granted, I missed their last performance there (the first time I missed seeing them in L.A. since 2000), but I will be there super early because the opening band is my new favorite obsession: Stars. Glee!

2 comments:

pigern said...

I'm waiting until next week, so I can purchase them at the Wiltern box office and avoid TM fees. Would you like me to pick you up some?

pigern said...

'You're growing old so young' - Stars.