Sunday, August 7

(M) Wedding Crashers. (2005, David Dobkin) Grade: B

Thoughts: Funny stuff but nothing you haven't seen before. Any scene with Vince Vaughn and Isla Fisher were pretty classic but the whole Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams (who is amazingly beautiful) storyline just dragged. Oh and they didn't use Christopher Walken enough, how disappointing is that.

(M) Last Days. (2005, Gus Van Sant) Grade: C-

Thoughts: Watching this film feels like your last days, good grief. I think Gus Van Sant is trying to lose his fanbase and audience completely. Although the movie is "loosely" based on Kurt Cobain, I think it pretty much was an interpretation of what Kurt's last days were like. Some scenes of the film were so difficult to watch because NOTHING would happen. The only reason I did not give this movie a lower rating was due to a few and I mean a few good scenes and Kim Gordon's performance.

(M) Upside of Anger. (2005, Mike Binder) Grade: B+

Thoughts: Joan Allen can act. Her performance alone is worth watching this movie. Oh and how scary is this - Kevin Costner is not half bad either. When Terry Wolfmeyer (Joan Allen) "thinks" her husband has up and left her and their four daughters (Erika Christensen, Evan Rachel Wood, Keri Russell and Alicia Witt) for a younger woman she doesn't get sad ... she gets crazy angry. I say "thinks" because there is a twist ending which I'm not sure if I should hate or love but I'm leaning towards hate because I don't think it was needed.

(M) Bride and Prejudice. (2004, Gurinder Chadha) Grade: C+

Thoughts: I do not think I'm a big Bollywood fan. All the colors and singing and happiness scares me a bit. Bride and Prejudice is Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice but Bollywood style. Aishwarya Rai who plays Lalitha is beautiful and smart but has too much prejudice or was it pride to realize William Darcy (Martin Henderson) is the man for her. The ending is pretty obvious to us all but I did enjoy Naveen Andrews performance as Balraj Bingley just for comic value. Oh and the musical numbers were interesting.

(M) Mostly Martha. (2001, Sandra Nettelbeck) Grade: A-

Thoughts: A charming German film about an uptight chef whose world gets turned upside down when her sister dies and she has to take care of her 8-year old niece.

(M) Pane E Tulipani (Bread and Tulips). (2000, Silvio Soldini) Grade: C+

Thoughts: I think the film could have been better but the charm of it got lost in the translation. I'm sure I was missing key terms and phrases that would have worked if I understood Italian. It is still a nice little movie and I had this overwhelming desire to see Italy afterwards.

(M) The Nightmare Before Christmas. (1993, Henry Selick) Grade: B

Thoughts: Pretty strange/scary I have not seen this movie until now. I'm not sure why I never got around to it but yup ... just never did. The storyline isn't all that great but the entire movie is wonderful to look at. It is amazing that they created each of the figures by hand and shot the entire thing that way. The paitence and labor that went into that is impressive. I'm not super eager to see the Corpse Bride but I think it should be pretty good.

1 comment:

Hedwig said...

you are INSANE!!! i can't believe how many movies you watch. INSANE!!!