Tuesday, March 1

(M) Trois Couleurs: Rouge (Red). (1994, Krzysztof Kieslowski) Grade: B+
Thoughts: The last film in the Kieslowski's trilogy. Valentine Dussaut (Irene Jacob) is a model in France whose boyfriend/lover is miles away in England. They try to keep the relationship going through games of phone tag but the distance starts to wear them down. One night Valentine hits a dog which belongs to Le juge (Jean-Louis Trintignant), a retired lonely judge. The two strike up a friendship ... even a strange non physical relationship. I had heard so much praise for this movie that I think I expected too much. Aside from how well the film was made ... the story did not grab me.

(M) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. (2004, Michel Gondry) Grade: A
Thoughts: I almost want to give this an A+. This was my second viewing of the film, the first during its theatrial release. I remember coming out of the theater thinking it was good ... but not great. Boy was I wrong. The plot is pretty simple - boy Joel Barish (Jim Carrey) falls for girl Clementien Kruczynski (Kate Winslet), they date, break up and girl erases her memory of boy. The dialogue is what makes this film top notch. It is how people would talk to each ... not some stupid over the top verbiage (i.e. the Dawson Creek kids) that people would never say. This is real conversations between two people dealing with the ups and many downs of a relationship. I think of this film as the what happens after the "happily ever after". When the conversations grow dull, the dinners at the special places become route and when every little thing about the other person starts bugging the living daylights out of you. Oh and I am offical in love with Kate Winslet. Why oh why is she so great. :)

(M) Im Juli (In July). (2000, Faith Akin) Grade: B-

Thoughts: I actually really enjoyed this film but I gave it a semi low grade because it was very very typical. Nothing special going on here. I wanted to watch the movie because the director Faith Akin also did Head On which I greatly enjoyed. The only great part of this movie was Christiane Paul who played Juli.

1 comment:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Does this mean that Blue was your favorite? I know I liked Red but when I think back on the trilogy, it's always Blue that sticks out in my memory to me.