Sunday, March 20

(M) Incredibles. (2004, Brad Bird) Grade: A+
Thoughts: Love, love, love this movie. I watched it a second time on my flight to London and realized again how "super" it was. The film is clever, smart, funny and entertaining. Syndrome voiced by Jason Lee is great because I think Jason Lee's voice really added to the character. As soon as I got home I rush to the store and picked up the dvd. I can't wait to watch the extra scenes of Jack Jack.

(M) Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason. (2004, Beeban Kidron) Grade: C-
Thoughts: I would have given this a D but I watched it on my flight back home from London so at least I didn't have to pay for it. This film really never should have been made and yet it was ... mind bending. The story picks up a few weeks later with Bridget and Darcy happily in love. Bridget gets insecure, breaks up with Darcy, then gets back with him. Oh and they throw in Daniel Cleaver (Hugh Grant) for good measure, however according to Pigern he never appears in the novel ... go figure. I did laugh a few times but what else was I suppose to do on a plane for 10 hours heading home. I might as well entertain/numb my brain.

(M) Shall We Dance?. (2004, Peter Chelsom) Grade: D+
Thoughts: Why oh why do they insist on doing remakes??? Just watch Shall We Dansu? and you never have to see this film. Granted the only part I did enjoy, hence the +, was how much more emotion John Clark (Richard Gere) showed for his wife Beverly Clark (Susan Sarandon) compared to the icy affection in the Japanese version. I think they did a good job casting Jennifer Lopez as the dance teacher because ... well the girl can dance BUT she can not pull off the cold wooden emotion of the character.

(M) The Village. (2004, M. Night Shyamalan) Grade: C
Thoughts: What happened to M. Night Shyamalan. He does Sixth Sense which was great and then follows that up with the stinker Unbreakable and makes a bit of come back with Signs and now this. The film is not bad but the "twist" at the end is so unreal. Bryce Dallas Howard who played Ivy Walker did a great great job in the film. Joaquin Phoenix was hot as always but I could never understand Adrien Brody's role in the whole film. His character seemed out of place and unnecessary.

yes i know the films i saw on the plane were pretty bad but the other ones were too serious for me to concentrate on (vera drake, closer, birth) or i had already seen them (finding neverland, ray) so there you go. i'll blog more about my trip to london/manchester and the shows. right now i have to try to get some sleep. i have crappy crappy hateful work and a wonderful great doves show tomorrow.

No comments: