Monday, February 21

(M) Bialy (White) (1994, Krzysztof Kieslowski) Grade: B
Thoughts: Right before Julie Delpy was in Before Sunrise she starred in this film. Granted I have not seen the Before Sunrise/Sunset movies but I can tell she is great. The film is about a man name Karol (Zbigniew Zamachowski) whose wife Dominique (Julie Delpy) wants a divorce from him after 6 months of marriage. Karol, who is Polish, goes back to Poland to rebuild his life and in the process gets revenge on his wife. I have yet to see Red the last of the Trois Couleurs but I must say Blue was still much better.

(M) Wong Gok Hak Yau (One Night in Mongkok). (2004, Tung-Shing Yee) Grade: B
Thoughts: One of the nominees for best picture at the 24th Annual Hong Kong Film Awards (like the Oscars for them) and I think it was well deserved. A well done movie with a dark enough plot and enough human emotion to get me involved. The strongest part of the film had to be Officer Miao played by Alex Fong. He was just the disturbed angry character that you would believe in.

(M) Million Dollar Baby. (2004, Clint Eastwood) Grade: B
Thoughts: Anyone who says this isn't a boxing movie is wrong ... well not completely. I thought the movie would be entirely on boxing but towards the last 1/3 of the film it was about human emotion and relationship. Clint Eastwood plays Frankie Dunn a surly old boxing trainer/coach/manager who owns a gym with his long time friend Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris played by Morgan Freeman. Enter Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank) who changes Frankie's life forever. The film is 137 mins but it did not feel that long because of the involving storyline. About 2/3 of the movie is about Maggie's rise to fame and the last part is her fall/cruel fate. I don't think Clint or Morgan really stepped out of the typicla roles they play but I would like to see Morgan win best supporting just because I think he is a great actor. If Hilary Swank wills best actress again ... I think it would be well deserved.

1 comment:

pigern said...

Yay. Julie Deply is pucker.